Friday 20 September 2013

La Java

Yesterday, after failing to understand the queueing system at our orthodontist, my daughter and I found ourselves with an extra hour to kill. Rather than staying in the waiting room we strolled down Rue Faubourg du Temple in the 10th arrondissement, looking for some sustenance at a café. As we walked down the hill my eye caught sight of a familiar long narrow covered passage at the end of which is La Java, a Parisian concert venue that first opened its' doors in 1923. Among some of the singers who performed in the early days were Edith Piaf and Maurice Chevalier. Nowadays the music of choice has changed and La Java tends to attract a mixed crowd of quirky bohemians. 


La Java is in the basement but as it was ten in the morning the club was closed. We had access to the long galleries above ground with their beautiful art deco balustrades and lovely glass details.

However, I don't think we were meant to be there...


...but we were, so I took a few photos anyway...much to my daughter's dismay. The stain glass windows are exceptional.


A vase of flowers.


A bowl of fruit.




More fruit.


I've been trying to remember the last time I went to La Java and I fear it was probably about fifteen years ago. Maybe we need to pay it another visit.

La Java programme can be found here.
A review of La Java by the Paris Travel Guide can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.