Wednesday 8 August 2012

Locking your love in Paris

The Love-locks of Paris have become a bit of a phenomena. Actually, people seem to have gone quite barmy with these symboles of eternal love. It's not quite clear when this custom started but anecdotal evidence suggests that locks were being attached to bridges in cities around Europe back in 2000. Attaching padlocks onto bridges or fences is seen as a romantic gesture, carried out by couples as testimonies of love. 

Hundreds of locks together look rather lovely.


I can't remember exactly when I last crossed the Pont des Arts but it can't be that long ago. As I remember there were groups of Love-locks clustered quite densely around the middle of the bridge and then a few dotted around at the edges. Over the past couple of years, however, things have gone a little...ahem...crazy in the world of Parisian Love-locks!


It's fascinating to think that behind each of these locks is a story. I'm not sure what this grey sock has to do with eternal love but hey, I'm sure the couple in question had their reasons.


Some of the Love-locks have been 'tagged'.


The locks are not just found on the Pont des Arts. There are plenty on other bridges in Paris. Here is a photo I took on the Pont de l'Archevêché. I think they look amazing in the foreground of Notre Dame.


Here is a single Love-lock I found last year, attached to the fins of a giant fish on the Pont Alexandre III. 



I think I need to go back and visit this surfing cherub to see how many locks are on this fish now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.